Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The rest of the story...

So I've just turned 22 and though it may seem exciting because I’m in my 20s and I’m young and free; after 21 its really not that exciting. I know when you’re younger and you dream about the future and getting older, you may think that’s impossible, but IT’S TRUE! Honestly the only thing that feels different is that I’m just one year older, and I’m starting to feel it too, yikes! Oh well, I guess if that’s true then the latter is also true, with years comes experience which is something to look forward to.

Anyway to explain my earlier comment about being pretty accident prone, let’s start by counting the injuries. By the way something to note, everything that happens to me seems to happen on my left side. I’ll show you! As a freshman, I came in with a broken wrist from playing softball for my summer traveling team. I received two pins in my left wrist, which left a little indention scar. Then last year while participating in the 6 am morning workout, I broke my left foot. We had to do an exercise called split-box jumps on an aerobics step up pallet that was about 6 or so tiers high. I was never very good at them, so being as accident prone as I am, I knew it was just a matter of time ‘til something bad happened. I never imagined though that I would come down wrong and break the outside bone of my left foot; this resulted in a 3-inch screw permanently placed in my foot. Talk about a fun experience every time I travel on an airplane; it almost always goes off. Looking at the x-rays, the screw look likes a sheetrock screw with one significant exception, the screw in my foot is worth about $400 and the other maybe $0.40 if you’re lucky, probably not even that much though. Here’s another example: as the fall was ending this past year I started to get a little bit of tendonitis in my shoulder. Coach Angus jokingly commented “well if that’s the most that’s going to happen this year then we’re lucky.” So the fact-of-the-matter is I am very accident prone. You can ask any of my teammates and they all have little stories they could probably tell you to give you a better idea. You know what I mean, when the story starts off “remember that one time Weady…” I have a feeling it’s going to be about something that happened to me but also probably pretty funny. I’ll tell you about the day we were videotaping our swings during a live pitching day at another time but until then “live everyday to the fullest because you aren’t guaranteed tomorrow”; a very wise quote from a very dear friend.

R.I.P. Big Dan (DP)

No comments: